As I finished the work for the time allocated by this campaign, here is a video showing the result:
Of course being only 15% funded, I couldn’t complete the relooking for everything. But at least, I could update all the core components, all the main menu with all activities icons, and a good bunch of activities.
Thanks again to everyone who helped making this possible; more updates about it later…
The crowdfunding campaign we ran on IndieGoGo to support the work on new unified graphics for GCompris finished yesterday. We didn’t reach the goal set to complete the whole new graphics, but thanks to 94 generous contributors, we collected 3642$. Also we got 260€ directly from the Hackadon 2014, many thanks to those contributors too! Thanks again to everyone who contributed and helped to spread the word!
Now after deducing the fees from IndieGoGo, converting to euros and making the sum, the total should be around 3150€, which is enough to cover 25 days of work. This is way less than the full goal, so I have to adapt the plan. Of course I won’t be able to make new artwork for all activities in these 25 days of work, but I’ll make as much as possible to establish good bases for the new design transition. Also I’ll have to rely as much as possible on some of the existing artwork that is already good enough and only adapt the style and do a some edits instead of starting from scratch as much as possible.
I have published the initial proposal for the new artwork guidelines. I will start the work on February 16th, in 13 days, so this should leave enough time for people to review the guidelines and send their opinion and comments (please use the contact form on my main website, or any other way that you’re used to contact me..). I’ll read carefully every comment and apply needed edits to the guidelines. The guidelines proposal is here.
(Edit 02/11/2015: guidelines and examples updated according to reviews)
Then I’ll fulfil these 25 days of work between February and April. Let’s see how much activities I can update in this time
First post of the year, so I can start wishing you all an awesome and happy new year!
As part of my work with Activ Design, I need to prepare some new training material to teach digital painting with Krita. Part of this material will be some kind of software manual. As we don’t have an up to date manual and the booksprint project we started to discuss is on stand-by for now, I started to write a modular manual to guide new Krita users. I call it modular because I want to split each aspect of the software to its own chapter, in separate pdf files (for convenience I’ll also make a version with all chapters in one file at the end). I’m writing both english and french versions: english as it’s the best base for everyone to read and translate, and french because our current students at Activ Design are french
To follow the good old rule “release early, release often”, the first files are already available. This is just the beginning, I’ll add the next chapters in the coming days. Next topics will be the layer stack, the brush editor, and one chapter for each group of tools.
A little side note on another topic: if you’ve followed our fundraising campaign for GCompris, you may have noticed we extended the deadline to February 1st. We really need more budget to be able to complete new illustrations for all the different activities, which is needed to reach unified graphics. Please support this project if you can!
At the beginning of this month, we launched a crowdfunding campaign to support my project to work on the artwork and graphics redesign for GCompris. The goal of this project is to provide better unified graphics to all different activities inside GCompris. It is quite a big work, so I really need some financial support to work on it fast enough.
The fundraiser started very good, but then we had less contributions in the next days.. We need to make more noise and reach more pepole, so please donate and keep spreading the word to your friends and family. Still I want to thank all who already donated and/or left some nice comments. As well I want to thank Mageia.org for their nice support, see their interesting blog post about it.
I count on your support, and hope the spirit of Christmas will help us.
And by the way, I wish you all some happy holidays!
If you’re following KDE community news, you probably already know that we’re running a donation campaign to help funding KDE community costs for next year.
Everyone giving at least 30€ will recieve a cool postcard featuring Konqi, choosing one of the three models available.
So here are the three illustrations I made for these cards:
So please consider giving something to this fundraiser, and enjoy the postcards!
On a side note, this week-end I’ll be at the Capitole du Libre and Akademy-Fr in Toulouse.
I’ll give a talk about contributing to KDE as a user, another one about latest Krita news, and I’ll spend some time on the KDE booth to talk to people and show some cool piece of software.
If you’re in the area, come and say hi